The Department of Italian Studies of the University of Toronto acquired a vast amount of materials — reviews, journal articles, art catalogues, interviews — donated in 2007 by the late Prof. Giovanna Jackson’s sons, Mark and David Jackson. A professor of Italian at Kent State University, Jackson (née Melidona) published one of the first monographs on Sciascia in North America, Leonardo Sciascia, 1956-1976: a thematic and structural study (Ravenna, Longo, 1981), later translated into Italian (Nel labirinto di Sciascia, La vita Felice, 2004). The materials had been donated to the Italian-American scholar by Sciascia himself shortly before his death, in 1988. Acquired by Prof. Domenico Pietropaolo, the archive has been partially digitalized thanks to a collaboration with the Department of Information at the University of Toronto and is now in the process of being fully catalogued. This project, now coordinated by Eloisa Morra (Univeristy of Toronto), aims at favoring the dissemination of this crucial resource for the North-American reception of the author of The Day of the Owl by creating new agreements througout Canada and Italy.
For more information about this project, contact: Prof. Eloisa Morra firstname.lastname@example.org
People: Eloisa Morra, Luca Somigli
Past contributors: Salvatore Bancheri, Vincenza Cuffaro, Domenico Pietropaolo
Research Assistants: Alessio Aletta, Giovanna Lisena, Nattapol Ruangrsi, Renzo Martinello, Anna Maria Chierici
Graphic Design: Caterina Di Paolo
Alfabeto Sciascia is a series of video pills aimed at creating a multimedia archive on the author of The Day of the Owl and Equal Danger. The videos, 5-10' short informative pills, will be broadcast in March 2022 by various cultural institutes (London, San Francisco, Toronto, etc).
For more information on the initiative or to propose an entry, contact: email@example.com
Sciascia In The News
- E. Morra, Sciascia approdato in America.pdf , Domenica- Il Sole 24 ore, December 19th, 2021
- L. D'Angelo, Sciascia in America. Dialogo con Eloisa Morra, Insula Europea, January 23st, 2022
- Fahrenheit - Radio 3, Archivissima: Cambiamento e memoria (interview on Sciascia Archive), June 9th 2022. https://www.raiplaysound.it/audio/2022/06/Fahrenheit-del-09062022-72840239-855c-4788-924a-90286611930c.html
- Massimo Novelli, Sciascia L'Americano (inedito), Il Fatto Quotidiano, June 9th 2022.
- Paolo Morelli, Archivssima cresce ancora: al centro c'è il cambiamento, May 25th
- Lorenzo Tomasin, Tomasin_ Sciasciario dialettale copy.pdf, June 26th 2022, Domenica - Il Sole 24ore